BlogWhat You Need to Know About Your Visit & Treatment Options at VEINatlanta
If you suffer from vein disease, you’re not alone. It’s one of the most common chronic conditions in the United States. 40% of women and 20% of men have leg vein issues by age 50. Around 20 to 25 million Americans have varicose veins.
For those of you in the metro Atlanta area, VEINatlanta treats a wide range of vein diseases and offers a variety of evaluations and treatment options. We treat venous insufficiency, which causes:
- Spider veins
- Varicose veins
- Achy legs
- Swollen legs
- Leg cramps
- Restless legs
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
We also treat:
Differences between spider and varicose veins. By far, the most common ailments we treat are chronic venous insufficiency, spider veins and varicose veins. Spider veins are small, thin veins on the skin that are red, blue or purple in color. Varicose veins are large veins that bulge or protrude. They can be blue, bluish-green or purple, but sometimes they are colorless and only cause bulges to the skin.
What is chronic venous insufficiency? Our circulatory system in our legs relies on one way valves in the veins to direct venous blood flow up toward the heart. When these one way valves do not work properly, then gravity can cause blood to back up in the legs veins. This condition can cause symptoms such a heavy, tired, achy legs, leg swelling, skin discoloration, night cramps, varicose veins, restless leg and other problems. Chronic venous insufficiency is also called venous reflux.
We offer free screenings. Our free screenings are designed for people who aren’t sure if they have a vein problem or who have cosmetic concerns about spider veins. We’ll perform a brief ultrasound to check for venous reflux and an examination of the area of concern. You will have a brief discussion with a nurse, physician assistant or doctor. Plan on being at our office for about an hour.
A free screening is not a full evaluation. If we identify a vein problem beyond a cosmetic issue, you will need to schedule a new patient office visit for a full evaluation.
New patient evaluations. Our new patient visit is much more involved and recommended for anyone who has leg symptoms such as heaviness, discomfort, achy legs, swelling, restless legs, night cramps or bulging veins. It’s also best for anyone referred to us by another healthcare provider, or anyone that has had previous vein treatments. We’ll perform a full evaluation including a complete history and physical, and a thorough ultrasound exam. The doctor or PA will then discuss the findings and a treatment plan. Your visit will take about 2 hours.
We offer modern, minimally invasive treatments. Your treatment plan depends on the results of your evaluation and specific situation. The doctor or PA will discuss which treatment is best for you.
- Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) — RFA, also called radio frequency closure, is a minimally invasive procedure used to correct venous reflux or chronic venous insufficiency, the primary cause for varicose veins and swollen legs.
- Endovenous laser ablation (EVLA) – EVLA is similar to RFA except it uses laser energy instead of radiofrequency energy to close the refluxing vein.
- Sclerotherapy — We use sclerotherapy to treat spider veins and small varicose veins. The procedure involves injecting a medicine called Asclera or polidocanol into the veins with a fine needle.
- Surface laser therapy — We can close down spider veins using a narrow laser beam. We often combine surface laser therapy with sclerotherapy to achieve the best results.
- Micro-phlebectomy — This procedure is used to remove varicose veins through tiny incisions in the leg. It is not vein stripping, which is an older procedure that is no longer performed.
For most procedures, you can plan on being at our office for about 2 hours. Sclerotherapy takes less time, about 45 minutes total time in our office.
What makes VEINatlanta unique. We believe you’ll find our experience and patient care stands out from the rest. Here’s why:
VEINatlanta’s expert physician team is dedicated to restoring health and youthfulness to your legs. With over 50 years of combined experience, our full-time vein surgeons are some of the most experienced in the city – treating more than 2,000 patients annually. VEINatlanta is the only vein clinic in Atlanta to be certified as a “vein treatment center” by the Intersocietal Accreditation Committee (www.intersocietal.org).
You don’t need to suffer any longer. It’s time to love your legs again.